Collection of Your Personal Information
The personal data we collect depends on how you interact with us, the websites you use, and the choices you make. We collect and process personal data about you with your consent and/or as necessary to provide the products you use, operate our business, meet our contractual and legal obligations, protect the security of our systems and our customers, or fulfil other legitimate interests.
Information you provide directly.
We collect personal information you provide to us. For example, we collect your name, email address, postal address, phone number, fax number, demographics, and other information you provide us. If you make a purchase, we also collect credit card numbers and other payment information.
Information collected automatically.
We also obtain information from third parties. We protect information obtained from third parties according to the practices described in this statement, plus any additional restrictions imposed by the source of the information. These third-party sources include:
- Data brokers from which we purchase demographic data to supplement the data we collect;
- Applications and services, such as social networks, that make users' information available to others;
- Service providers that help us determine your device's location based on its IP address to customise certain products to your location;
- Partners with which we offer co-branded services or engage in joint marketing activities; and
- Publicly available sources, such as open government databases or other data in the public domain.
We may combine your personal data collected across the above sources. You may always choose not to provide personal data, but if you so choose, certain products and services may not be available to you.
We use the term “devices” to refer collectively to computers and mobile devices, as well as the internet browsers and other applications on your devices that interact with the internet. Getty Images engages in cross device data collection which refers to the process of collecting data from devices that have been determined through statistical analysis to be linked or related. Our partners whom we employ to provide this service use cross device data to provide interest-based advertising services to our customers and to deliver tailored ads to users across multiple devices.
Use of Your Personal Data
- provide and deliver services, including securing, troubleshooting, improving, and personalising those products;
- operate and improve our websites and business, including our internal operations and security systems,
- understand you and your preferences to enhance your experience using our websites,
- to process your transactions,
- to provide customer service and respond to your questions,
- to perform research and analysis aimed at improving our products, services and technologies,
- send you information, including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages,
- communicate with you about new products, offers, promotions, rewards, contests, upcoming events, and other about our products and those of our selected partners (see the Choice and Preferences section of this privacy statement for how to change your preferences for promotional communications);
- and to display content, including advertising, that is customised to your interests and preferences.
In carrying out these purposes, we combine data we collect from different sources to give you a more seamless, consistent, and personalised experience.
Please note that for US customers, upon account registration, you will be signed up for our marketing communications. Please see “Choice and Preferences” below for how to unsubscribe from these communications.
Location of Personal Data and Privacy Shield
We transfer personal data from the European Economic Area and Switzerland to other countries, some of which have not been determined by the European Commission to have an adequate level of data protection. When we do so, we use a variety of legal mechanisms, including contracts where required by applicable law, to help ensure your rights and protections. To learn more about the European Commission's decisions on the adequacy of personal data protections, please visit: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection/data-transfers-outside-eu/adequacy-protection-personal-data-non-eu-countries_en.
Getty Images has certified under the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield frameworks (individually and collectively, "Privacy Shield"). Getty Images complies with the Privacy Shield as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce with respect to the collection, use, transfer and retention of personal data from European Union member countries and Switzerland. Getty Images has certified that it adheres to the Privacy Shield principles based on Notice, Choice, Accountability for Onward Transfer, Security, Data Integrity and Purpose Limitation, Access, and Recourse, Enforcement and Liability.
To learn more about the Privacy Shield programmes, and to view our certification pages, please visit:
If you have a question or complaint related to our participation in Privacy Shield, we encourage you to contact us as indicated at the bottom of this privacy statement. For any complaints related to Privacy Shield that cannot be resolved with us directly, you may refer the matter to JAMS by going to https://www.jamsadr.com/eu-us-privacy-shield. JAMS provides an independent third-party dispute resolution body based in the United States. JAMS has committed to respond to complaints and to provide appropriate recourse at no cost to you. We will cooperate with JAMS pursuant to the JAMS International Mediation Rules, which are accessible on the JAMS website at http://www.jamsadr.com. If neither Getty Images nor JAMS resolves your complaint, you may have the possibility to engage in binding arbitration through the Privacy Shield Panel.
Sharing of Your Personal Data
We share personal data with your consent or as necessary to complete your transactions or provide the products or services you have requested or authorised. We may also share your personal data within our corporate group, including with our subsidiaries, affiliates, and divisions, all of whom may use your data for the purposes disclosed herein. In addition, we may share your personal data with our approved and appointed distributor network.
We may share your personal data with service providers who perform services on our behalf. For example, we may hire other companies to handle the processing of payments, to provide data storage, to host websites, to fulfil orders and shipments, to assist in direct marketing, analyse your interests and preferences and to conduct audits, etc. Those companies will be permitted to obtain only the personal data they need to provide the service. They are required to maintain the confidentiality of the information and are prohibited from using it for any other purpose. Getty Images maintains contracts with these third parties requiring their treatment (access, use and disclosure) of personal data to be consistent with our obligations under the law.
We reserve the right to disclose your personal data if we have a good faith understanding we are required to do so by law (including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements), or in the good-faith belief that such action is reasonably necessary to comply with legal process, respond to claims, or protect the rights, property or safety of our company, employees, customers, or the public.
Retention of Personal Data
We retain personal data for as long as necessary to provide the products and fulfil the transactions you have requested, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our agreements. Because these needs can vary for different data types in the context of different products, actual retention periods can vary significantly based on criteria such as user expectations or consent, the sensitivity of the data, the availability of automated controls that enable users to delete data, and our legal or contractual obligations.
On some pages, we allow you to share personal data with third parties, such as social networks like Facebook. In these instances, you are agreeing to the data being shared and the shared data is subject to the privacy policies of the third parties. We do not control and do not assume any responsibility for the use of personal data by such third parties. For more information about the third party’s purpose and scope of their use of personal data in connection with sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of such third parties.
Accessing Your Personal Data
If you would like to review or revise information that you previously provided to us, you may access your information in the “My Account” section of the website. Your Account Executive can also assist you in making any changes, as well as in exercising your right to have your personal data deleted. If you need additional assistance, please contact us at email@example.com. You can expect a response from us within 30 days. Please be advised that you cannot change your username without re-registering.
Getty Images uses “cookies” and other technologies like pixel tags, web beacons and similar technologies (“Cookies”) to enable you to sign in to our services and to help personalise and improve your online experience. A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your hard drive or device. Cookies contain information, including personal data that can later be read by a web server in the domain that issued the Cookie to you. The information that Cookies collect includes the date and time of your visit, your registration information, and your navigational and purchase history. Pixel tags, also called web beacons, are clear image (i.e., non-visible) files that may be placed on a website, in an email or newsletter, and request information from your device such as your browser type and may assist us in determining your engagement with the content of the website and emails we send, how many users have visited certain pages, or how users have otherwise engaged with our messages or newsletters. We may use web beacons to help deliver cookies.
Cookies offer you many conveniences:
- They allow us to identify registered users when they return to the site so that they can retrieve previous image search results, access Boards and shopping baskets and view their previous invoices.
- Cookies save you time by eliminating the need to repeatedly enter the same information.
- Cookies enable us to see what actions you take on this site and other websites. This allows us to deliver personalised content to you and other users, including search results and interest-based targeted advertising on our site and other websites.
- Cookies help to protect your security by checking your log-in details and may help prevent fraud.
- Cookies remember your preferences when using the site.
- Cookies also identify particular customers in the event such customer would like assistance from a live, online customer service representative.
Our websites may include Cookies from third-party service providers. In some cases, that is because we have hired the third party to provide services on our behalf, such as site analytics. For this purpose, Getty Images works with various third-party partners like Amazon, Facebook and Google to see what actions you take on third party websites to deliver our personalised ads to you via third party websites. We use Demographics and Interest reporting features in Google Analytics to inform our requests to our service providers.
- Measure and analyse aggregate usage and volume statistical information from our users on our site. Information gathered may include, but is not limited to the following: activity of the user browser when the user is visiting the site, the site path of users, general information regarding the visitor’s internet service provider and host, and the time users come to the site.
- Remember our users’ previous search of products and services, and dynamically display more relevant content to them.
- Record users’ behaviour on our site, such as pages visited, emails clicked, forms completed and products and services purchased to create customised advertisements and communications that better meet your needs.
- Evaluate user traffic and behaviour on the site to compile activity reports.
- Conduct research and diagnostics to improve our products and services.
- Identify users arriving at the site via a referral from an affiliate website or sponsored link.
Third Party Advertising
Our current third-party advertising partners can be viewed here: https://www.gettyimages.com/ads.txt. You may find more information on each company’s practices, including the choices it offers, by clicking on the above and visiting those websites. Many of them are also members of the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) or Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA), which each provide a simple way to opt out of ad targeting from participating companies, which you can access at:
http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.aspx and http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ or if located in the European Union go here: http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/.
Choice and Preferences
Getty Images respects your right to make choices about the use and disclosure of your personal data. If at any time you decide that you do not want to receive marketing emails from us or change the settings in relation to your personal email preferences, you can take the following actions as set out below:
- Marketing Emails: If you do not wish to receive marketing emails, you will have the option of opting out and/or unsubscribing from our emails and mailing lists by adjusting your marketing preferences as follows: (1) checking or unchecking the appropriate box on the applicable Getty Images (http://engage.gettyimages.com/email-preferences); or iStock (http://engage.istockphoto.com/email-preferences) email preference page; (2) contacting your Account Executive; (3) sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org; or (4) following the directions at the bottom of one of our marketing emails. Please note, if you choose not to receive marketing emails, you may still continue to receive transactional or account emails (e.g., purchase confirmations and account balance statements).
- Cookies: You can accept or decline cookies. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can modify your browser setting to decline cookies. Please be aware that the site is optimally designed to operate with cookies enabled in your internet browser. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to sign in or use other interactive features of our sites and services that depend on cookies. This may negatively impact your experience of the site. If you would like to opt-out from the use of pixel gifs in our emails, please email us at email@example.com. To view Google Analytics' currently available opt-outs for the web, please go here. If you choose to delete cookies, settings and preferences controlled by those cookies, including advertising preferences, may be deleted and may need to be recreated.
- Third Party Advertising: If you would like to opt out of information collection by our third-party advertising partners or otherwise find out more information about Internet advertising companies, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ and http://www.aboutads.info/choices/. You can prevent the companies listed from showing you targeted adverts by submitting opt-outs. Opting out will only prevent targeted ads so you may continue to see generic (non-targeted ads) from these companies after you opt out.
- Mobile Devices: Use your mobile device settings to stop or limit interest-based advertising on that device. For instructions for using the advertising choice mechanisms provided by the most popular mobile operating systems, visit the NAI's Mobile Choices page at: http://www.networkadvertising.org/mobile-choices.
- Do Not Track. Some browsers have incorporated "Do Not Track" (DNT) features that can send a signal to the websites you visit indicating you do not wish to be tracked. Because there is not a common understanding of how to interpret the DNT signal, our websites do not currently respond to browser DNT signals. Instead, you can use the range of other tools to control data collection and use, including the cookie controls and advertising controls described above.
European Data Protection Rights
If the processing of personal data about you is subject to European Union data protection law, you have certain rights with respect to that data:
- You can request access to, and rectification or erasure of, personal data;
- If any automated processing of personal data is based on your consent or a contract with you, you have a right to transfer or receive a copy of your personal data in a usable and portable format;
- If the processing of personal data is based on your consent, you can withdraw consent at any time for future processing;
- You can to object to, or obtain a restriction of, the processing of personal data under certain circumstances; and
- For residents of France, you can send us specific instructions regarding the use of your data after your death.
To make such requests, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. When we are processing data on behalf of another party that is the “data controller”, you should direct your request to that party. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, but we encourage you to first contact us with any questions or concerns. Please be aware that those rights set out above may not apply in some instances, for example where our right to processing your personal data may be necessary for exercising the right of freedom of expression (e.g., news gathering); or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
Security of Your Personal Data
The security of your personal data is important to us. We take appropriate and reasonable steps designed to help protect your personal data from unauthorised access, use, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. For instance, in some cases we encrypt that information in transit using secure socket layer (SSL) technology. No method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
If a password is used to protect your account and personal data, it is your responsibility to keep your password confidential.
Forums & Other Interactive Services
Our websites may include discussion forums or other interactive areas or services, including blogs, chat rooms, bulletin boards, message boards, online hosting or storage services, or other areas or services in which you or third parties create, post or store any content, messages, comments, materials or other items on the sites (“Interactive Areas”). If you use an Interactive Area, you should be aware that these areas are open to the public and any personal data you post or provide at registration may be viewable by others. We are not responsible for public disclosure of personal data you submit in connection with the Interactive Areas, nor are we responsible for how others might use that information, including to send you unsolicited messages. Interactive Area postings may be retained indefinitely. If at any time you would like to request that we remove a posting, please email us at email@example.com. Keep in mind that removal of a posting from an Interactive Area does not necessarily mean that the posting will be deleted from our backend systems.
We may link to websites, including those of our third-party content providers or distributor network, that have different privacy policies and practices from those disclosed here. We assume no responsibility for the policies or practices of such linked sites, and encourage you to become acquainted with them prior to use.
If you have a privacy concern, complaint, or question, you can contact Getty Images by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 206-925-5000, or by postal mail at Attn: Privacy Getty Images, Inc., Sales, 605 5th Avenue South, Suite 400, Seattle, WA 98104, United States.
For the EU
Our data protection representative for the European Economic Area and Switzerland is located at Getty Images International. You can contact them by emailing email@example.com or by phone at 1800 931 768, or by postal mail at Attn: Privacy, Getty Images International, 1st Floor, The Herbert Building, The Park, Carrickmines, Dublin 18, Ireland.